Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cheers and Thanksgiving

How do you become a better scientist? I try to consider that question frequently in grad school. While I don't claim to have a definitive answer, I've found discussing the issue with fellow grad students and professors to be one of the more enjoyable ways to think about it.

Last night, I had a beer with a professor to talk about using my time in school to become a better scientist. It was a good time - nice beer (Altitude has some fine choices) and good conversation. One of the things I've appreciated most since coming here is the openness of the faculty and grad students - if you want to grab a cup of something (cold or hot) and talk about something more or less related to your interests, it's usually not hard.

And since John mentioned it, I thought I'd echo his thoughts - it's pretty easy to travel from Laramie. I spent Thanksgiving with family in Denver, then made a quick trip to Durango for the weekend. It was a bit of driving, certainly, but having spent my formative years within the Capital Beltway, I don't mind the distance as long as the roads are good and the scenery is pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment